Books receive a star-rating on four distinct criteria, and then are given an overall star rating. We review the following content:
Storyline - Does the writing flow well enough to "forget" we are reading a book? Or does the writing distract us? Are we swept away into the story? Is the plot interesting and original?
- 1 star - Difficult to follow, hard to keep going
- 2 stars - Lacking substance, doesn't keep our attention
- 3 stars - Good, but predictable
- 4 stars - Enjoyable, we're hooked!
- 5 stars - Phenomenal, swept away into the story!
Depth - How much does this book delve into the deep things of life? Does it discuss personal and spiritual issues, or does it stay on the surface? Does it cause us to reflect on our own lives?
- 1 star - Shallow, treads on the surface
- 2 stars - Uncomplicated
- 3 stars - Lighthearted
- 4 stars - Real life issues explored
- 5 stars - Deep exploration of life
Faith - How strongly does God enter the story? Are issues of faith discussed and explored? Do the characters experience faith in a real, personal way?
- 1 star - None
- 2 stars - Christian principles
- 3 stars - Faith is real and evident
- 4 stars - Faith is a big part of character development
- 5 stars - God is a main character
Love Story (formerly Squeal Factor) - how much chemistry is there between characters? Does it get our emotions engaged? Do we feel what the characters feel? Does the romance go beyond a surface level to deep, lasting love?
* Note: We love our romance, but we only review wholesome books!
- 1 star - No love story
- 2 stars - A little sizzle
- 3 stars - Lighthearted romance
- 4 stars - Engaging love story
- 5 stars - Deep, heartfelt chemistry
Overall - This rating will be close to the average of the four criteria above, but may also be based on our personal likes/dislikes and the "flavor" it left us with when done reading. This is the star rating you will see next to each title on the list.
- 1 star - Don't even open the cover
- 2 stars - Hard to get into
- 3 stars - Good, enjoyable
- 4 stars - Great, solid read
- 5 stars - Don't miss this must-read!